White Hall
Previously on the north east corner of the junction of Highgate and Lowther Street
"July 1 (1825), the foundation- stone of the White-hall Buildings laid by the Mayor on the site of " Leaden-hall," (Leather-hall, originally, no doubt) at the head of Lowther-street. One of each of the Kendal newspapers, a facsimile of the corporation seal, printed on satin, with a memorandum of the date of this celebration, and the name of the architect (Francis Webster, alderman), were inclosed in glass and deposited beneath the stone." (Nicholson FGS, 1861 p295)
"(abbreviated, as we conjecture, from White Cloth Hall) was another stately mansion. It stood upon the site of the present Town Hall, and was the residence of the Robinsons, afterwards of Rokeby Park. The front projected with two wings : the windows were stone mullioned ; and the stair case was of stone — spacious and circular. The ground which now forms New Street, was a garden, attached to the hall." (Nicholson FGS, 1861 p129)
"It seems not improbable that 'White Hall' (originally, perhaps, White Cloth Hall) has taken its name from the manufacture of this 'milk-white cloth'." (Nicholson FGS, 1861 p28) referring to the 'milk-white coats and crosses red' described in a poem descriptive of the battle of 'Flodden Field'
The Courts of Session were moved to this building when it became the Town Hall around 1859 after the old Moot Hall had fallen in to dilapidation.